We understand that contract-holders don’t look just for a place to rent, they look for a place to call home.
When we value your rental home we always provide you with a realistic price, we understand from the outset that this is your largest investment, and we take care of it like our own.
Like any other investment, you need experts to look after it and keep it safe.
It’s no secret that happy contract-holders stay for longer, maximising your rental home income.
This is why we go above and beyond to ensure that everything that sets your home apart and that makes it a home shapes our entire approach.
From the time your home reaches our substantial network of contract-holders, they will see your home the way you do, and love it for all the same reasons.
Why let with Moginie James:
- Moginie James is the only High Street Agency in Cardiff with the ability to allow potential contract-holders to book viewings for your home straight into our diaries. This technology means your home is accessible 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, which is crucial considering that 56% of all home enquiries are submitted outside of standard opening hours.
- Free rent Guarantee and legal expenses policy comes as standard with our fully managed and part managed services *Terms and conditions apply.
- We pride ourselves on being a fully regulated ARLA Propertymark lettings agency, as well as licenced Rent Smart Wales agents, members of The Property Ombudsman, ALMA and TDS (tenancy deposit service). Your home is in safe hands with us.
- Our managed landlords can rest soundly with the knowledge that all maintenance reported through our online reporting system is fully-audited. Contract-holders can report issues no matter what time of day it is. This means speedy repairs and happy contract-holders.
- We are passionate about catering to our customer’s requirements, as demonstrated by our little Welsh gem in the heart of Pontcanna Village - offering a bilingual service for those Welsh Speakers who would like to take advantage of it.
- Let your home with our No Deposit Option. With Moginie James’ No Deposit Option, contract-holders can opt to pay a small monthly fee in lieu of a deposit. In return, we will indemnify your home for up to 7 weeks’ rent – that’s 40% more than the traditional 5 weeks. Find out more here.
- Whether you are looking for a Let Only service, to Rent Collection or Fully Managed, we can tailor a bespoke package to suit your own personal requirements.
- Our knowledge and expertise allows us to react quicker to changes in market conditions when others cannot.
- All viewings are accompanied by experienced Lettings Consultants who are trained to highlight your properties features, with viewer feedback provided to your Landlord account.
- Moginie James takes immense pride in being an award-winning, reputable and respected agency with a long-standing history and affiliation within Cardiff.
- Our Support Team ensures maximum exposure for our landlords properties by consistently appraising, updating and informing our database of potential contract-holders. Through this attentiveness, we maintain a highly relevant and well-informed pool of contract-holders.
- Communication is key to any process, we provide you with regular updates and always keep you in the picture.
We understand the disappointment of landlords whose experiences of the letting process have fallen short of their expectations.
We believe we offer the very best customer service, providing clear and concise communication and exceptional marketing for your home.
In addition our seamless switch service acts as a hassle free way for landlords to change agent. We manage the whole process for you, liaising with your existing agent and seeking expert legal advice on your current contract.
Switch to Moginie James to take advantage of 3 months free management. Find out more about this offer here.
Smart Investment, powered by GetGround
Smart Investment, powered by GetGround, is a new service Moginie James has launched which takes care of the setting up and management of a buy-to-let limited company for you, providing accounting, expenses management and secretarial services, alongside all the ongoing support you need. Find out more
Visit our resources page for details on landlord fees
Rent Smart Wales
Since 23 November 2015, the legal obligation for all Landlords operating in Wales is to register in order to comply with the law.
In order to register a landlord must provide accurate and up-to-date information about themselves and their rental properties in Wales.
This requirement comes from Part 1 of the Housing (Wales) Act 2014
Does this apply to me?
Do you own a home in Wales that you don’t live in?
Do you allow someone else to live in that home (as their main residence), and do they pay you money to live there?
Is the home rented on an Occupation Contract?
If you answer yes to these questions you are a landlord and need to comply with the registration requirements in Wales.
What rental properties do not need to be registered?
For more information read here.
How do I register as a landlord?
You can register as a landlord via Rent Smart Wales website. A landlord must complete the registration themselves; an agent or another person who is not the landlord cannot do it on their behalf. Apply Now
If you are a self-managing landlord you will also need to apply for a licence. To find out more read the Landlord Licensing section.
Tell me more about landlord registration
A landlord, for the purpose of the legislation, is the person who is entitled to possession of the home. This in most cases will be the owner of the home.
A landlord who must register therefore could be an individual person, a group of people or even a company (depending on how the home is owned). If the home being registered is in joint ownership, one lead owner must register it on behalf of all other owners. If a home is owned by a company, the company registers as the landlord.
A landlord registration costs £33.50 if completed on-line. This is the cost for each landlord type registering. The cost for registration does not increase if more than one rental home is part of the registration.
If someone requests a paper application form to complete instead of doing the registration on-line it costs £80.50.
What rental properties must be registered?
A landlord must include the address of all rental home in Wales they are the landlord for in their registration. This will be the address of all dwellings (buildings, or part of a building, occupied as a separate dwelling) which are subject to, or marketed or offered for let under a domestic tenancy. Only dwellings rented on assured, assured shorthold or regulated tenancies are required to be part of the register. These are the main types of tenancies used to rent out properties privately in Wales.
Once a landlord is registered; what then?
A landlord’s registration lasts 5 years after which time they must re-register. During the registered period a landlord must keep the information within it up to date. By law, certain changes in information must be notified.
- Any change in name; correspondence address; contact telephone number; e-mail address or other contact information provided as part of the registration
- Any change (either that someone has started or ceased) to undertake letting or management at the registered rental home (for which they would need a licence from Rent Smart Wales)
- Any changes of interest the landlord has with the rental home (i.e. if they sell a registered home)
If a landlord acquires another home subject to, or marketed or offered for let under a domestic tenancy in Wales they are obliged to add it to their registration. A landlord has 28 days to do this within.
To read more about Rent Smart Wales, visit our blog HERE
School referral scheme
Instruct Moginie James to sell or let your home and we will donate up to £250* to a local school of your choice. Find out more information here.